Community Safety Net
CSN (Community Safety Net) is our advice project, this service is a culturally sensitive, person-centred service which is open to all within a 1.5-mile radius of the Nishkam Centre, we are familiar with the dynamics that affect ethnic communities and provide additional language support through our caseworkers and volunteers, the aim of this program is to empower people so that they become self-sufficient. This service is mainly delivered through telephone but we also offer face-to-face appointments for vulnerable clients.
For Welfare Benefits we are able to provide assistance through the different pathways such as self-help, aspects of welfare benefits and social security law including:
Maximising income through welfare benefits
- Benefit applications including Universal Credit and disability benefits
- Backdating claims
- Suspensions and overpayments
- Disputing refusal of benefits such as Personal Independence Payment(PIP), Disability Living allowance, UC and Attendance Allowance all the way up to tribunal level appeals
We are able to provide assistance through different pathways such as self-help in most aspects of housing law including:
- Assistance to complete your own Housing applications – We will advise on the Birmingham City Council Home Choice Website
- Rent arrears
- Emergency repairs and emergency help pertaining to situations where there is no electric or gas
- Options on how to deal with your debts, Setting up payment plans
- Negotiation with creditors
- Disputing liability for debts.
For further information on our CSN services contact the Nishkam Centre reception on 0121 515 4229
Some of the people we have helped…
“I would recommend others to come here. They made me feel like a human being and visible, had a lot of empathy and understanding which is very hard to get these days”.
‘’Thank you for all your hard work, effort and commitment and winning our appeal case, we are very grateful”.
“I would just like to say thank you for everything that you have done for me. I really appreciate it and your professional advice and assistance has been an incredible help at what had been a very difficult time in my life. So, thank you again for everything, you are a credit to your profession!”
families directly helped through our advice and support services
in direct financial outcomes for our clients
Advice Resources / Self-Help Tools
For further self-help and information visit one of these websites which may be able to answer any questions you may have.